Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I might be unconscious.

Sleep is for cowards.
by AC - permalink


Nearly four hours into the second of two consecutive shifts here. I didn't know I'd be working a double this morning. But dude didn't show up, so I guess I just keep working until someone comes in at three. Then I come back for at least eight more hours at 11. Getting seriously tired here, and I think all the coffee is starting to fuck with me.

So I did a bunch of tweaking and I still can't get Doom 3 to run for shit on my new eMachines T6425. But whatever. New vidcard soon. I did find the sweet spot for Quake III Arena though: with texture and geometric detail maxed out and at 32-bit color and texture depth, plus all the graphic bells & whistles on, it turns out 1152 delivers a stable 60fps. That's where it stays anyway with v-sync on, because the stock ATI tools won't let me lock in a refresh rate higher than 60Hz in full-screen OpenGL or D3D. Guess I should try one of the newer Catalyst sets or something.

Still having a problem with Half-Life/Blue Shift/Opposing Force. When the game engine is running in OpenGL, a thin strip of desktop is visible at the top and bottom of the screen. The game is actually rendered into this space, like weird half-assed letterboxing. Additionally, once I escape to the menu system and return to the game, the FOV is locked at about 10 (instead of 90) and slowly rotating down and to the left. I don't know what the fuck that's about. D3D mode is not as buggy, except that vertical sync doesn't work and the texture tearing is awful. I never had any problems with Half-Life with my old 32MB ATI card running Radeon 7200 drivers, but this onboard Xpress 200 just doesn't want to deal with it.

Doesn't matter though. I've got just two other issues with this box so far, aside from the 64MB of shared vidRAM that should be 128MB. One, it almost never detects my USB mouse on boot. I have to unplug it and plug it back in first. That's annoying. And two, the gigantic, green eMachines sticker on the front of the case listing all the specs is paper-backed and glued on with some ungodly industrial adhesive that won't come off. I'm having to scrape it off, then I'll have to thoroughly clean the faceplate. Suck, suck, suck.

No comments: