Wednesday, February 15, 2006

ATI, AMD, and the Doom 3 engine.

Finding the balance.
by AC - permalink

I think pretty soon I'll have to write up a detailed post on the performance I'm getting out of the Doom 3 engine on my box, and how I got there. I know it's the kind of thing that would have helped me a few weeks ago. I went ahead and picked up Quake IV Special Edition Tuesday morning, and I'm impressed with how well it's running. At the same detail settings in-game, and with nearly all the same config tweaks, Quake IV at 1152 is running as fast, maybe slightly faster than Doom 3 at 1280. I'll go into all the software and hardware details later.

I've run into two problems, though. Around 15 minutes in, the game started crashing to the desktop as soon as I tried to use the machine gun's secondary fire (zoom). It's still doing it, and I don't know why. It doesn't matter if it's bound to a key or a mouse button. Combing through the forums -- which I fucking hate doing, by the way -- it seems like others are having the same problem but I can't find a fix. Otherwise the game has run beautifully. It's snappy and responsive, though it's weird how it can be so smooth at 1152 and unplayable one step up at 1280.

Anyway, my other issue is with Quake II, which is half the reason I spent $40 for the DVD edition. I can't load savegames. Again, seems like virtually everyone has this problem with Quake II (and both the mission packs) under Windows XP. Apparetly this was just never fixed. The only answer seems to be using a source port. Great.

Gecko-based Mac browser Camino has reached version 1.0. It's a nice app, but I'm not sure who the target user is. Probably people like me who get bored using just Safari and Firefox. The again, I've gone back to using pretty much nothing but Opera on this old box here at work and Firefox at home. In fact, I've been using my old Duron PC exclusively for internet access for a while now; I don't think I've had my new rig online at all since finishing the Counter Strike: Source Steam update a few weeks ago. Partly that's because of laziness -- I have to physically move the line from one room to another. But mostly it's because I don't want to give Steam a chance to see that there might be a new update out there, so it can refuse to let me play CS or Half-Life 2 offline until I've finished some massive download via dial-up. I really hate that about Steam. If I don't want the patch, I shouldn't have to download the goddamn patch.

Hey, I wonder if that Quake II savegame thing will be a problem on my old PC. It's still running WinXP Pro SP2. My new one came with MCE. Bah, probably doesn't matter.

No comments: