Friday, August 25, 2006

It's movie time.

Building the collection.
by AC - permalink

I made a couple good movie calls this weekend. I picked up V for Vendetta on, I admit it, hype alone. I love The Matrix, I love Hugo Weaving, and I love Natalie Portman in ways I shouldn't talk about. So I was pretty much obligated to buy this eventually. But it turned out to be a pretty good film. It's talky and moody and heavy on the symbolism, but I agree with most of the veiled political statements and I can sit through well-directed exposition as long as there's kung-fu and explosions on the horizon, so I liked it.

I also got The Matador, pretty much solely on the recommendation of Ebert and Roeper. And they were right, it's the best performance I've ever seen from Pierce Brosnan. In fact, I'd nominate the guy for an Oscar for that role. Plus the movie is damn funny and features the hot as hell Hope Davis in blonde. Highly recommended on all sorts of levels.

No comments: