Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Quake, '96 style.

Old school is the new school.
by AC - permalink

Quake was an important game for me. Even more than Doom, Quake is what converted me from a console gamer to a full-on PC shooter fan. The first game I ever played on my first new PC, a smokin' Pentium 133 rig with 32MB of RAM and a huge 1.6GB hard drive, was the shareware episode of Quake. I learned to play it online, with a 33.6K modem, which meant I was lucky to find a server that gave me a ping lower than 350.

What's more, Quake was my introduction to Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor composed Quake's soundtrack, which is still one of the all-time creepiest original scores for any shooter. He actually went further than that, recording sound effects for what would become the Quake alpha test demo, most of which were replaced by the time the game went gold. But my point is, if I hadn't become so enamored with that eerie, haunting Quake soundtrack, I never would have picked up Broken from my local record store (because it was the cheapest NIN album there), which led me to buy Pretty Hate Machine, which led to The Downward Spiral, and so on to today.

Not so much for musical reasons but for nostalgic gaming reasons I finally ordered Quake, in a download-only form, from id Software's online store yesterday. It took some work to get it to run properly in WinXP. It came with the WinQuake and GL Quake ports, but WinQuake runs software-only, and the version of GL Quake shipped barely worked. I tried an older GL Quake I downloaded years ago, and it works fine. It even works with my old Quake Mission Pack CDs I bought a decade ago, which means I've finally (nearly) completed my Quake collection. I have Quake and its two official mission packs, Quake II and its mission packs, Quake III Arena, and Quake IV. What I'm missing is Team Arena, the only official Quake III expansion.

And there's one other thing I don't have: Quake's soundtrack. The downloadable Quake I bought was only 24MB zipped, which obviously didn't include the ten-track Reznor score. I have no idea why, but it sucks all kinds of ass. Fortunately, a Google search ponied up the tracks immediately, but I still have to go through the bother of burning them and manually starting the tracks while playing the game. What the fuck, id? Twenty bucks is a lot to ask for an eleven-year-old game in the first place, but stripping out the soundtrack, that's just fucking cold. I suppose I owe you for including Quake II and both mission packs with the DVD edition of Quake IV, but when are we going to get a similar package for Quake 1?

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars will be out soon, but honestly I have no plans to buy it. It looks to be a sort of Battlefield 2042 in the Quake IV universe game, which doesn't interest me at all, unfortunately. I know id is working on a new IP, and assuming my hardware can run it, I'll be first in line. But ripping a historically great soundtrack from a monumentally important game does not set a great precedent, especially for hardcore id Software fans. And I know I must be a harcore id guy, because Doom 3, which most people seem to consider a huge let-down after all the hype it generated a few years ago, is one of my all-time favorite PC shooters.

I'd ramble on some more, but I'm halfway through Scourge of Armagon, and I haven't even started on Dissolution of Eternity...

No comments: