Thursday, January 18, 2007

Not so good with the shooting.

At least, not anymore.
by AC - permalink


I'm not sure what the intangible It is that I've apparently lost when it comes to online shooters, but whatever It is, I've lost it. Ten years ago, I used to dominate in the only online shooter anyone was playing, Quake. But now... I dunno. In the FPS's I can find a decent amount of players in -- Call of Duty 2, Halo, Quake III mainly -- I'm holding my own, but I'm getting fragged way too much. If we were talking about obscure, overly complicated gamemodes like Onslaught or whatnot it would be different, but I'm playing mostly team deathmatch, and I'm getting sniped left, right, and center, and it's getting depressing. I'm still kicking all kinds of bot ass offline, so I don't think I'm necessarily out of practice... It's like there's been some sort of fundamental, intangible shift in how to win online in these kinds of games that I've missed the boat on since I was last playing a lot around six years ago.

Whatever the case, at least I'm not crashing so much anymore. After the RAM slot-swap, I've only crashed once. I've got my box open and on its side, with a desk fan pointed into it. I think the problem was from my motherboard's orientation. The vidcard was stuck upside-down, with the fan/heatsink pointed down and with very little room for the hot air to escape upwards. Over time, I think the GPU has been damaged and can take less and less exposure to high temperatures. I would have been looking out for this, but I've never had a little mini-tower like this eMachines case before. Anyway, now not only can it vent upwards, I'm forcing the air out of the case with the fan. I haven't tried the Psychonauts demo again, but I've been able to play a lot of CoD2, as well as the F.E.A.R. demo a couple of times without a spontaneous reboot. It's progress anyway.

No comments: