Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kirk still kicks ass.

Which Kirk? Every Kirk, nerd.
by AC - permalink


I finally got around to checking out Star Trek New Voyages, a series of web-only episodes of the original Star Trek series financed by Trekkies the likes of which you can't even imagine. And it's way better than I thought it could possibly be. When rumors of a Trek movie starring people like Matt Damon and Adrien Brody surfaced I realized that I don't really have a problem with new actors taking on these classic roles. I mean, the Trek canon has existed for so long that it was only a matter of time until new actors were cast in some of them. You have to accept this to watch New Voyages, which is, essentially, a fourth season of Star Trek.

Sure, Scotty only occasionally has a Scottish accent, and yes, you did see the boom mike just now, but D.C. Fontana herself helped get this project off the ground by writing the pilot, and J.G. Hertzler, aka Chancellor fucking Martok, will be directing and starring in a future episode as Harry Mudd. Oh, and did I forget to mention that Walter Koenig showed up for the death of Pavel Chekov? That's in episode 2, bitches.

With the remastered, HD episodes of the original series (we geeks call it TOS), all five Trek series are in national syndication now, and on Mondays you can see every freakin' one of them. I know, because I just did. New Voyages only makes Trek stronger from my perspective, because even when this new "reimagining" of TOS is released in theaters, a lot of us who know and love the swingin' sixties version of the show will have new episodes to look forward to online. So what if the new Kirk is clearly wearing a wig? How is that different from Shatner's Kirk in everything since 1979?

No comments: