Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Another developer joins Steam.

The list grows.
by AC - permalink

Earlier today Valve announced that THQ is the latest developer to hock games via Steam. Several games are already available for direct-download purchase, including Company of Heroes and the Full Spectrum Warrior series. More of interest to me, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming to Steam as well. Hopefully a demo will show up at some point; I would have bought it already if I knew my rig could handle it. Half-Life Fallout has the full press release.

THQ is a good pickup for Valve. They have a solid RTS pedigree and a huge number of kiddie games in their inventory, which could help Steam's demographic if any of them are headed for digital distribution. They're joining an increasingly impressive list of publishers already on Steam. Among others, Valve has Activision, Eidos, 2K Games, and PopCap, although all but PopCap are offering only portion of their software line-up. I'd really like to see a partner like Ubisoft (Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Splinter Cell), Rockstar (GTA, Manhunt), or Epic (UT, Gears of War) come on board with their full libraries.

I have my gripes with Steam, but most of my complaints have been with Valve's own games and their long tradition of forcing often unneeded patches that seem to do more harm than good. But Steam now lets you disable automatic updates for individual games, and registering a game with Steam eliminates the need for a CD-check, which I absolutely despise. Unnecessary wear-and-tear on my DVD burner just to play a little Call of Duty or Tomb Raider = not so fantastic.

Oh, Steam also has Penny Arcade now, accessible from the front page. That's cool, I guess.

No comments: