Sunday, July 29, 2007

Starting over.

Aka, what the fuck?
by AC - permalink


I woke up this morning (okay, afternoon) to an insurmountable drive error that ended up with me being forced to perform a full system recovery. For whatever reason, the sector on my primary hard drive containing all the boot data was irreparably corrupted. So after hours of fruitless troubleshooting and more hours of reinstallation, here I am again, with a clean Windows XP install and all my 120+ GB of whatever-I-had-that-took-up-all-that-space gone. It's actually not as bad as it could have been. At first, I thought my 200GB primary drive was fried, leaving me with my backup 100GB drive. If I'd been forced to reinstall Windows to that drive, not only would my total drive space have been cut by two-thirds, I would have lost all my backup data I was using it for in the first place.

Still, it's going to take me days to restore everything, and a lot of data has been lost forever. The timing is just fucking perfect, as I'm in the middle of the readmission process. I'm trying to get back into college full time, and I'm going to need my PC. The last thing I need is a driver error that wipes out a damned thesis and all my research. So I'm concentrating on getting all my drivers and software updates reinstalled and working together.

The stock-level system restore has brought to my attention all the gradual updates I've made to this rig, and how difficult it was getting everything to work. Since I bought this PC last January, I've added a second hard drive and a new video card, yanked the modem, and replaced the power supply unit, CPU, main cooling fan, and heatsink. On top of the 76 updates I've already downloaded from Microsoft, I still have to re-up the sound and video drivers, find all the Media Center and Media Player updates, and rip my entire CD library again.

Just to get ready for all the re-installations I had to spend an hour uninstalling all the prepackaged software I never wanted in the first place. My favorite moment has to be when my PC suddenly crashed and rebooted during the removal of the AOL software. Now I'll need TweakUI just to remove the defunct AOL entry in the add/remove programs list. But that's the tip of an iceberg, I have Gigs worth of utilities to reinstall, everything from Open Office to Ad-Aware.

Okay, I'm going to microwave some leftovers and start combing through all my backup discs now. 'Night all.

No comments: