Saturday, September 22, 2007

Mice need attention, too.

The importance of dpi. Also, I feel old.
by AC - permalink

I finally got around to buying a new mouse this afternoon. This is riveting stuff here, I know, so hold on to your ass. Anyway, I've been using a cheap IBM optical mouse for at least two years, and I never liked it, but have never been able to bring myself to either compromise and buy a cheap mouse that's marginally better or spend a ton of money (for me) on a nice six-button programmable dual-laser mouse with built-in cruise control and stun setting. But today is my birthday, so I thought, "Fuck it, I hate this thing," and bought a new mouse. It's a nice, affordable little Logitech 1000dpi tilt-wheel deal. Not a barn-burner, it's sort of a Toyota Celica of a mouse; sporty enough, but it won't blow your panties off. It's narrower than what I'm used to, but smooth and quick and has a little more weight to it than most mice, which I like. My first mouse was a very light little Logitech two-buttoner -- this was before wheel mice existed -- but when I replaced it with a much heftier Microsoft number, my Quake scores went up dramatically. End of discussion.

On Monday I'll have finished my first round of tests since returning to college after ten years, and it hasn't been too difficult. I'm taking things more seriously this time around, and was better prepared for my exams than I was before. That's how it seemed, at least, as twice in one day I easily finished my exam, double-checked every answer, and was still the first to finish by a wide margin. Most of the people in my classes are a decade younger than me, right out of high school, with one or two others my age or older. The kids (yes, I'm calling them kids) are like me when I was attending the U of M; they just don't know how important a single test can be when you get to college. When you only have four, they all matter. This ain't high school.

I'm really enjoying the programming (1002) and basic HTML (2010) courses. In 2010 we're about to start CSS, which is where I left off in writing my own HTML years ago. In 1002, we've passed the basics -- which has already been all new to me -- and are about to start actual programming in Perl. Considering I've just gone from having only the most rudimentary understanding of binary to being able to do binary-to-decimal-to-hex conversions in my head, I'm somewhat confident, although I know the real memorization and formatting slog is coming up.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, being an unapologetic homer*, I also treated myself to a sweet birthday official Tennessee Titans baseball cap. So now I have my Titans cap, two awesome University of Memphis caps from my dad, and my retro-2001-style official Memphis Grizzlies cap I found brand new at, inexplicably, a gas station for four bucks. I'm all geared up and ready, head-wise, for the upcoming seasons.

*
A "homer", one who roots exclusively or disproportionately for athletic teams from one's home town or area. -- Wikipedia

No comments: