Friday, October 05, 2007

Homework.

This page contains over 100 code faults.
by AC - permalink


My god, have I been busy. My web programming class alone is sucking up over six hours a day outside of class, just sitting in front of a monitor writing HTML. I actually had a dream about coding a style sheet this week. My long-lost background in web page design has been a godsend, as I'm way ahead of the curve in terms of concepts and basic HTML structure. The problem is how far things have progressed since I stopped writing web sites. Simple tags I still remember are now either redacted or style attributes of other tags, and much of the syntax is totally different now. The upside is that it's helping me in my programming class, which is starting to kick my ass.

Technically, it's called Logic and Problem Solving for Programmers. What that means is that now that we've moved from the basics and are now actually writing programs in PERL, I have to go through these steps that are really just bogging me down. Instead of just figuring out the objective and thinking in terms of the programming language, which I'm doing automatically, I have to write it down in "pseudocode," create a friggin' flowchart, and then actually write the damned program. I've got perfectly working bits of code here, but I'm working overtime trying not to lose points on the stupid goddamn flowchart I have to turn in showing how I planned out the program that I wrote -- without the flowchart. Essentially, it's writing the program all over again, but deliberately leaving steps out and trying to remember which ones not to omit. Bah.

I actually do enjoy the web programming class, though. I'm not doing much copy-'n-paste, as I've found the more I type out the code, the better I remember it, which means less referencing. We've been given our first test, a long list of required elements for a pre-defined site consisting of several pages, and I'm hammering it out fairly quickly. Unfortunately, it's due the same day as a detailed run-down of the elements I'll be using in my final project original site (which means I'm going to have to write most of it way before it's due), a huge lab assignment in the PERL class, and an exam in my regional geography course. This is going to be a fun fucking weekend.

On the geek front, it's nice having new episodes of Heroes to look forward to. It's the first time I've had a new, non-syndicated network show to anticipate since the last, sadly underrated Trek series was canceled. Sunday makes me happy with new episodes of Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil and Metalocalypse. Putting aside my loathing of Michael Crichton after his laughable State of Fear, I'm reading his '99 novel Timeline, which was made into a dumbed-down but somewhat enjoyable movie. I'll probably re-read the final Harry Potter book after that, and I'm thinking about diving back into Chuck Palahniuk's early books later. I think I've had time to heal after reading Choke four years ago. Maybe.

No comments: