Wednesday, October 31, 2007

School, music, and Halloween.

Whoops.
by AC - permalink


Funny thing about my last post: I did actually have a lab due after the break in my logical programming/PERL class, but I somehow misread the due date. I explained this to my professor after miraculously getting two-thirds of it done in the half-hour of lab time she gave us during class, and she said I could just finish it and turn it in next class, only losing the standard 5 points (out of 100) for being one day late. Oh well, I thought, but after lunch I was feeling productive, and wrote the final, unexpectedly complex program in about an hour. I printed out the source and console and brought the final lab to her in her office. And surprisingly, I got full credit. Let's have a round of applause for her flexible grading, and for my procrastination skills. I never had a wasted, beer-and-football-filled weekend be so productive in my first go-round at college ten years ago.

School has taken up so much of my idle time that I've been neglecting most of the things that used to make existence bearable, including gaming and music. I'm spending so much of my time in front of my monitor, both at school and at home, that I haven't played much of anything lately, only spending an hour or so every now and then on a new play-through of Far Cry, which just never gets old. But tonight I devoted a couple of hours to my sadly neglected bass guitar, digging up some old songs via YouTube that I used to play religiously years ago. Amazingly, not only could I still play bass lines like Radiohead's "Paranoid Android," Clutch's "The Yeti," and Flea's immortal line in "Soul to Squeeze," they actually came pretty naturally and easily. I can't begin to fathom how going from playing almost every day to playing three or four times a month can have made me better, but that's how it feels.

Anyway. Halloween is here, and like every other holiday, I was sick of it weeks ago. The other day I was in a Rite-Aid and they were stocking an entire aisle with Christmas items. What the fuck is that? The orange-and-black-labeled Skittles aren't even in the discount bin yet, and you're trying to sell me wrapping paper and garland? In another week I'll have had enough of Christmas, and it won't even be winter. Bah.

No comments: