Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Changes coming. Maybe.

Also, I'm really busy.
by AC - permalink


I'd apologize for the lack of updates, but nobody reads this anyway. I'm thinking hard about archiving a number of posts and relaunching the blog with a new, ground-up redesign. I'm kickin' ass and takin' names (yes, literally) in my HTML course, and I think it's giving me an undeserved confidence in all things Web. My average is currently something like 99.6, and that's only because I keep passing on simple extra credit opportunities. The overall average from all four courses I'm taking is in the 97-98 range, but it's only because I'm doing virtually nothing else but schoolwork.

Real Life (read: having a life) is also eating up my free time, but in a good way. Saturday night I went with my friend Monica to the Memphis MeDiA Co-op to see the premier of a local indie film called omg/HaHaHa that she and her daughter had bit parts in. The film was fucking unbelievable. Director Morgan Fox, who's a really sweet guy, btw, addressed the unexpectedly large crowd before it started, and extended an open invitation to play Pac-Man on the big screen before the event started. Don't even try to rank that on the Midtown-o-meter, it'll just break. The movie itself was indescribable, so I won't try to describe it. But it was touching, and sad, and hilarious, and real, and thoughtful, and joyous, and beautiful, and experimental in any number of ingenious ways. He's working on getting a limited run at the Studio on the Square, and I can't wait to see it again (and again, and again...).

An extended trailer, more of a mini-cut, really, of Morgan's new documentary, This is What Love in Action Looks Like, ran before omg, and unbelievably, it looks even better. The trailer alone choked me up, it's just (and I'm going to do this again, but shorter) illuminating, and uplifting, and heartbreaking, and will definitely demand attention, just as omg will when it hits the festivals. More of Morgan's films and those he supports can be found at the sawed-off collaboratory pictures MySpace page.

To make the weekend even more surreal, I was back in Cooper-Young the very next afternoon to visit my grandma with my dad. Prowling exactly the same streets just hours after watching such a moving film all about the dynamic between parents and children for such a reason was... interesting, to say the least. I think I'm still processing it.

This seems weird and wrong, but I'm going to go ahead and move on to basketball now (that was my half-assed segue, and I'm not apologizing for it). The Grizzlies had a ridiculous night against the Rockets this evening. Darko went off (20 and 6), Lowry out-rebounded Yao, and Pau stepped up and clinched it with four straight freebies in the final minute. Miller had another solid all-around game after his slow start, and Rudy is proving to me that he's determined to bring something really special to the floor every night this season. His game is improved in every possible facet over last year, and his confidence is off the charts. This kid could be really, really good. My 6pm class ran long, so I missed most of the first half, but it was still a great way to wrap up a long, exhausting day.

No comments: