Saturday, November 20, 2004

Cripple Fight!

I was watching the Pacers at Pistons game tonight on ESPN when The Fight broke out. And even though I was impatiently awaiting the start of the Memphis at Sacramento game, I was riveted. And ESPN immediately cashed in by continually showing slow-motion replays of guys getting punched in the face and hit in the head with exploding beer bottles, which is what we all wanted to see. There's never been a more ferocious fight at a pro basketball game. The only ironic thing was watching professional broadcasters get their panties all wadded up about it, despite the fact that there have been fights at international soccer matches that put this little melee to shame.

Anyway. I finally saw Elf on DVD last night. The movie was pretty good, Will Ferrell's slapstick genious saving it from obscurity. At times it was so cutesy I felt faintly nauseous, but the double-disc home edition has enough special features, including alternate/deleted scenes with optional director commentary, that I was too distracted to throw it away and put in Bad Santa, the sort of Christmas movie you'd actually enjoy watching with your grandparents.

No comments: