Saturday, November 13, 2004

Substandard Movie Reviews

This week I saw three newish movies for the first time; School of Rock, The Italian Job, and The Day After Tomorrow. My recommendations for watching them would go in that order. School of Rock if you want to see a good film, The Italian Job if you're bored and want to be entertained for a couple of hours, and The Day After Tomorrow if you're absolutely desperate for something to do. Ian Holm gets third billing during the opening credits of this one, which is a little pathetic, since he spends only slightly more time on screen than I do.

I suppose the good news is that the third Harry Potter movie will be out on DVD next Tuesday. I still haven't seen this one, but I'll be buying it anyway. That, and the extended edition of the third Lord of the Rings film, shortly after it comes out next month. I just like dork movies, what can I say.

I don't feel the same way about video games, however. I watched some of TechTV's coverage of the Halo 2 release, and I feel way less geeky than I did before. Honestly, is it really worth standing around for 36 hours and missing work just to play a game 12 hours before a bunch of people you'll never meet will? "Microsoft's inconceivably expensive ad campaign told me this was the game of the millenium, so I'm going to play it almost a whole day before anyone else!" Hey, that's great, dude. Let me know how you feel about this in three years, and whether you could have saved yourself a ton of hassle and waited a few days to buy it.

No comments: