Saturday, June 04, 2005

Thunderbird 1.1 and Virtual Firefox

A developers' pre-build of Thunderbird 1.1 has been released, and again, you shouldn't use it. I'm too possessive of my mail to try this one out, but the good news is that an improved UI is on the way, along with features like the ability to strip messages of attachments before opening them, in-line spell-checking, and Firefox's new pref window.

The Rumbling Edge has begun posting detailed changelogs for Thunderbird, starting with this one for 1.1 Alpha 1. A quick glance shows this will be the most significant Thunderbird update by far.

In Firefox news, this Slashdot article says that Second Life will be getting Firefox support soon. I'm not sure whether it will be Firefox-branded in-world web browsing or whether the Gecko rendering engine will actually be integrated with the game, but it's significant either way. I've never tried it myself, but I know that Second Life has a nice little subculture going. I suppose this is analogous to Pizza Hut's Everquest II deal, but less greasy and weird.

No comments: