Friday, December 09, 2005

Email post

...On the worst PC ever.
by AC - permalink


Imagine an old Celeron-based business PC with 64MB RAM running Win 98 for three straight years without a reformat, or even a disk defrag. If you're picturing random BSOD's and constant VM swapping, you're on the right track. Also, the C key barely works. In any case, I installed Firefox 1.5 last week, and the entire staff here switched over completely without any input from me at all.

By the way, I'm mail-posting because blogger.com is one of the very few sites blocked by this network. The list of things you can't do in a post-by-mail is short, but why hyperlinks have to be auto-created out of complete URLs I don't know. So I probably won't be linking anywhere tonight.

For some reason I thought Gmail had gone public, but I guess not. I generally use Thunderbird, but I'm composing with the webmail client and I just noticed a little box telling me I have a hundred Gmail invites. But doesn't everybody already have an account by now? Anyway, if anybody wants one, post a comment with your email address.

Just tried to switch tabs and got an instant reboot instead. Lovely.

Slashdot.org and CNet mention a guy named Myk Melez who's put a tab UI into Thunderbird nightlies. It's an interesting idea that I'm sure has been kicked around at Mozilla before. If he writes a tabbed, "single-window mode" extension for Tbird 1.5 I'd like to try it, but I'm not into the bleeding edge, latest trunk stuff.

Oh, and a security flaw in Fx 1.5 was made public today. Mozilla.org generally has patches available for current Fx branches within 72 hours, but in the meantime you can protect yourself by disabling the history.dat file. No, I don't know how to do that either.

I'm officially through hearing about how the NBA's Eastern Conference has caught up to the West this season. In Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday's games, the East lost 10 of the 12 inter-conference games, and the Atlantic division is still waiting for a team to break .500. That's quality basketball. Every time you hear a talking hairdo on ESPN or TNT ranting about how far the West has fallen, keep in mind that he's only talking about the former elites and the overrated (LA Lakers, Houston, Sacramento, Seattle). The West is still strong, but it will take some time for everyone to realize that the West's top teams are now - in addition to San Antonio and Dallas - from places like Memphis, Oakland, Phoenix, and LA. No, the other LA.

Update 10:00am: Doing a little formatting at home, but I'm not touching the content. Time for bed.

No comments: