Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Opera Mini sort of works.

But do I really need the internet on my phone?
by AC - permalink

Just for the hell of it, I downloaded Opera Mini (mini.opera.com from your cell) onto my cheap little Nokia 3120 cell phone tonight. It pre-renders web pages on a remote server, lightening the load for resource-starved phones. It actually seems to work pretty well. I was able to access a couple of pages -- complete with graphics -- that my phone's standard browser couldn't due to RAM limitations. It cut this blog's front page into four slices, for example. Unfortunately, when I decided to jump to my bookmarks, the browser crashed without any explanation. I suppose I'll play around with it a little more. The software itself is just a 60k download, and it cuts up pages into chunks smaller than that, but I think I'm paying like 1 cent per kB for data, and I don't think it's really worth paying a buck or so to read a tiny, tiny web page. Maybe for occasional email access.

Firemonger 1.5 was released tonight. It contains Firefox 1.5 but still only Thunderbird 1.0.7. Worldwide testing of Tbird 1.5 RC2 is scheduled for today, so it seems like they could have waited for Tbird 1.5 final. Anyhow, FM 1.5 also lets you run Firefox from the CD before installing it, and features single-click theme and extension installation.

It's 1am now and I need to get myself some coffee.

No comments: