Thursday, January 17, 2008

The internet owns me.

Bah, these kids and their techno-whatever.

So I was finally peer-pressured into setting up my own half-assed blip in the MySpace continuum. "Everybody has one," they said, so like a good doggie, I obeyed. It's been a decent time-waster, if nothing else. And sorting through the spam friend requests is pretty entertaining. I mean it was, until the sixth one in two days, after which I started filtering them.

I'm in a weird head-space about school this semester. The only course I'm taking that I have even the slightest interest in is the client-side JavaScript programming class, and it only meets once a week. The networking course would be interesting if it weren't so frustrating that it's three hours long and taught by a total dingbat. I just want to get down to the really fun, challenging stuff, but for now I'm slogging through the requirements. Meanwhile, Real Life is hammering on my door, I'm busy trying to find a job that will fit with my schedule, and school is suddenly more of a burden than an opportunity.

Whatever. I started looking into the recent news about Mozilla hiring some guys from something called Humanized, and found a beautiful bit of programming they've written called Enso. I installed Enso Launcher this afternoon and I'm already addicted to it. If you meet the minimum recommended nerd requirements, be sure to check it out.

Speaking of which, apparently I don't meet the requirements for xkcd. I mean, I get it. But I don't think it's funny. I think it's one of those things where you're supposed to love it if you have the dork-cred, because you can water-cooler how cool it is with your fellow techies. But honestly, do we really need an unfunny, stick-figure, hardcore-geek version of Penny Arcade? Anyone up for that? Thought not.

No comments: