Friday, October 15, 2004

Sucker Punch

So a few nights ago I'm browsing around, listening to music, playing some Tetris, basically killing time, and I decide it's time I go to bed. So I go to close down whatever's open, and as I close IE, something odd happens. I get a ton of HD activity, and I start getting a lot of downstream traffic for no apparent reason. When I try to get offline, my ISP's software hangs, and becomes unresponsive. No big deal, I think, as I try to end-task it, and that's when I notice three running apps I've never heard of before. I shut it all down and reboot. The vaguely named programs show up again, and I realize some blocked pop-up has installed spyware. Took me two fucking hours to uninstall and remove no less than six applications and all their affiliate software from my HD, and manually remove all mention of them from my registry and IE's trusted sites listings. Then I had to install SpyBot S&D to scour anything I may have missed and "immunize" IE against future invasions. Bottom line: stay off the internet.

Anyway, I hear that a former producer of Bill "Me Me Me" O'Reilly's super-non-objective talk show has accused him of sexual harassment. Among other things, he, allegedly, called her up and described his "sexual fantasies and exploits" while, ahem, using a vibrator on himself. I have to quote Craig Ferguson from The Late Late Show, who said, "Please, god, let this be true."

In non-sex-toy-related news, I found out that if you try to randomly combine Half-Life mods with no idea how to seamlessly do so, you can get some pretty entertaining results. I was tryng to use BotMan's Bot10 with Valve's Deathmatch Classic mod, and I got all kinds of neat-o surprises. Like playing DM2 with no weapons or enemies, or DM3 without the ability to switch between weapons you've picked up, or DM6 against bots who don't make any sound, ever. I suppose it's good that I gave up. The last thing I need is to get really into this and write a bot program for an obscure mod for an obsolete game.

No comments: