Sunday, October 03, 2004

Wasting Time

I'll be driving all over town this week looking for copies of Blue Shift and Quake I, and, if I can't find them, Quake II and the Quake II Mission Packs. It's not that I can't order all this software over the internet, which I'm perfectly capable of doing. It's just that it gives me an excuse to spend hours and hours out of the house, driving 'round Memphis in an overpowered and obnoxiously mufflered sports coupe, looking for stores where I can waste time ogling at video cards I want and software this computer can't possibly run.

Despite the numerous emails I received practically begging me to take part in the alumni band's halftime show, I declined to attend the University of Memphis' homecoming game against Houston. Sure enough, DeAngelo Williams racked up 262 yards on the ground and beat Houston's defense into the fetal position. If the Tigers were in the SEC we'd be smelling Heisman by now.

Meanwhile, the Titans lost yet again, but who the hell cares? The Grizzlies re-signed Pau Gasol for 7 years! Life is good again. Only a few more weeks til the Griz tip off against the Cavs in their preseason opener, and I'll be right there, watching and waiting for the national media to finally figure out what we're all so excited about. We beat the goddamn defending Eastern Conference Champion New Jersey Nets by 47 points last year, the largest winning margin of any game in the league last year, and heard barely a murmur from the national press. Just wait til we're giving the Spurs a run for lead in the division, ahead of the Rockets and the Mavs.

No comments: