Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Computers are complicated.

I can type fast. Doesn't really help me, though.
by AC - permalink


Turns out if you look hard enough, you can still find a decent CRT for a decent price, but you're going to have to mail-order it. I think I've settled on this ViewSonic 19-incher for $220 plus shipping. I realize that if they'd had this thing during the Great War they would have used it as a runway for Sopwith Camels, but it does 1600x1200 at 77Hz, and the user reviews beat any other sub-20-inch CRT on Newegg. You can get a 19-inch, 8ms LCD for less than $300 now, but I want to be able to push as high as 1600 and as low as 1152 for various games, and you can't do that without a CRT. Plus, I can get a .21mm dot-pitch instead of .296, which is about as good as a mid-range LCD gets.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck forcing the brightness up to max in all my games so I can actually see what's going on with this damned second-hand NEC monitor. Tomorrow I'm going to drop some cash into checking, then I'm ordering that ViewSonic, or another, similar CRT. I've got to do something about this.

I'm thinking my next hardware upgrade will likely be a new vidcard. I just got this Radeon X800 XL, and I love it; it's significantly faster than the newer-generation X1600 cards. But at some point I guess I'll need a new one that's DirectX 10-compliant. That's probably about a year down the road, though. Before that I might want to swap out my CPU (AMD64 3500+) with either a 4000+ or an X2 (dual-core). The 939 socket is insanely diverse, which is one of the reasons I bought this PC in the first place.

Oh, and I need an add-on sound board, because the popping I'm getting from the onboard RealTek is absolutely maddening. And at some point I still have to get a gamepad for the flying missions in San Andreas and all the emulated 16-bit games I have. But that's it. Really. That's all I need.

Or I could sell everything and get two or three consoles and a dozen great games for 'em.

Nah. I'm off to play some Pogo games now, looping my entire CD collection in the background with musikCube. Try that on your precious PS2. For that matter, try updating your blog with your Xbox.

Update 4:26pm: By the way, when did PC game demo downloads get so completely out of hand? I remember when a demo was just over five megs. You know, because it's just a demo. The Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter demo is out now, and it's just under five hundred megs. Half a Gigabyte? For a demo? Jesus Christ, I just keep feeling older and older.

No comments: