Friday, April 21, 2006

Putting off the inevitable.

Why spend money when you can wish you had? Wait, what?
by AC - permalink


I'm getting really tired of this old borrowed NEC monitor. I can't seem to do anything to get the brightness/contrast high enough, and the refresh rate is so low that the ache has moved past my eyeballs and into my soul. I mean, it supports a really astonishing array of resolutions for a 15-inch CRT, but it's just killing my brain. But I can't find a good CRT anywhere, and I hate to mail-order something so big and so fragile. But that's what it's going to come down to eventually.

At work I've been training a new guy to take over my graveyard shift so I can work the much busier 3pm to 11pm slot. I like working nights for a lot of reasons, but one of them isn't crazy motherfuckers who smash all the goddamned lobby windows with an aluminum bat, and that was the final impetus to get off that shift. The security we have is, at best, pathetic, and in that part of town you should have professionals. I make peanuts, and it's not worth getting my brains blown out over nothing. But this week's training combined with not taking a single day off, ever, and in fact never being more than two minutes late, while working a minimum of 20 minutes extra every day is starting to push me towards the schizoid side. I need a vacation. Now.

Unfortunately, I don't get paid days off at this place. What I do get is a wide range of nicely numbing first-person shooters on my hard-earned, fast-as-hell PC at home. And Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is looking so good right now I'd kill a guy (the guy who smashed the fucking windows at work) to get it. Not only is it more aligned with the original Ghost Recon than the console version, early playtests indicate than it runs well enough even with a Radeon 9800-series graphics card. I'm drooling a little just thinking about this thing.

I've also tried to set aside a little of my free time to keep up my plucking skills on my bass guitar. I've picked out most of American Idiot, my new favorite bass CD. And by the way, have you heard the new Tool single yet? Oh my god. I thought progressive rock peaked around 2001, but this plus the new Korn track plus what System of a Down is doing, and throw in Nine Inch Nails' With Teeth, has me thinking that prog might be back. I hope so. All we need now is a new Deftones album...

No comments: