Friday, April 07, 2006

Here, have some money.

Everyone else is getting my money, you should get in on this.
by AC - permalink


It's been an expensive week. Last weekend the house next door burned halfway to the ground, melting off all the siding on the north side of this house in the process. It also tore up a lot of telephone and electrical gear and damaged some of the utility-reading gear. So there's a nice, fat insurance deductable to pay. The same night, one of the dogs somehow managed to get a nice big gash on her leg, which meant a visit to the vet and another unexpected bill.

A few days later it became apparent that the condensor portion of the central AC wasn't working anymore. Call the AC guy, get out the checkbook. Then my beautiful Philips computer monitor borked itself into the scrapyard, so now I have to buy a new one. And on my way to look for one this morning I managed to drop over $160 on routine maintenance for my truck.

For the time being, I've borrowed a cast-off spare monitor from a neighbor, and hopefully it's temporary because this thing is just universally crap. It can get up to 1152x864, so that's something. But the dot-pitch is so low, and the image so blurry that it seems like my eyes are out-of-focus and it's giving me a headache.

I'm just so pissed at my broken monitor. It's a Philips 107P 17-inch, and it can hit any resolution you throw at it, from 1600x1200 to 1360x1024. I'd be content to just get a new one, but it turns out Philips doesn't even make monitors anymore, those motherfuckers. Now I might have to toss it in the backyard and fire .22 rounds at it to make myself feel better.

My problem now is trying to find a decent CRT to replace it. I use too many resolutions for gaming to get an LCD, and I can't spend $500 for a good game-grade flat-panel. But even high-range 17-inch CRTs these days seem to max out at 1280. Just this past weekend I played through my Call of Duty games maxed out at 1600, and I absolutely refuse to downgrade with a brand-new monitor. That leaves 19-inchers, which run well north of $200 before shipping. And I really don't have the desktop space for a huge 19-inch CRT anyway. Shit.

All this sort of puts a damper on my plans to pick up a new mini Nintendo DS next month. I decided I'd cave in and get one for the new 2D Mario, plus at work we have Wi-fi and I have a lot of time to kill, so a DS plus the new Mario Kart or Metroid or Tetris would be perfect. If it's not too much more expensive than the current DS, I could still pick one up. That's assuming I don't get an arm chopped off or smash my truck into a bridge pylon or have to buy a new refridgerator or something. Which, at this rate, is right around the corner.

No comments: