Sunday, April 09, 2006

Serenity and San Andreas bugs.

I only watch Stargate when I blog.

by AC - permalink

I'm rapidly developing a DVD problem. I bought three used yesterday for thirty bucks, really for no reason at all. I brought Serenity and Domino to the counter, but she told me a third one would be free, so I grabbed Collateral (which was the only one I'd actually seen). Domino was cool. I don't think I actually knew what was going on by the last fifteen minutes, but it was good looking. Serenity, though, I loved. I watched it this morning, and tonight I actually sat through all the bonus features and Joss Whedon's commentary track.

I thought Firefly was a brilliant show, but I wouldn't call myself a Browncoat or anything. I mean, I realize that the entire series can be had on DVD for as little as $20, but I still don't have it. I'd rather walk into a store and buy it than order it on the web, and I've never seen it anywhere.

This is a pretty funny Startgate. Better than the infinite time loop one. Considering I've only seen maybe a dozen episodes over the entire, what, nine-year run, I kinda like this show. Shit, they just did a Kids in the Hall "I'm crushing your head!" reference. That's awesome.

So anyway, I ran into this bug in GTA San Andreas where the game won't launch. Watching the active processes, I could see gtasa.exe run for a few seconds, then go away into computer netherworld. I tried a few things, then spent two minutes online and found the answer. You have to delete gta_sa.set, which is not in the program directory. It's in GTA SA's folder under My Documents. I didn't edit it, but it seems to be the main user config file, because deleting it resets all the options to default and the game generates a new one. It wouldn't be so irritating if I knew what caused the problem and not just how to fix it.

And if I hadn't nearly reinstalled the game, which might have wiped out my progress. I'm at more than 50% now, and I'm knowingly bypassing a number of goals. Right now my progress in San Andreas is being held up by the same thing that's keeping me down in Vice City: those fucking flying missions. In SA, it's both Zero's remotes and trying to fly that goddamn Mustang in pilot school. I can get around well enough in the seaplane you can find in the lake west of Las Venturas, but that Mustang is completely uncontrollable with either the keyboard or the mouse. I'm actually thinking about buying a gamepad just for that one mission.

Well, that Stargate had a really anticlimactic ending. It just sort of stopped. But on the bright side, they threw in a Star Wars gag ("My name is Olo. Hans Olo"), and it looks like the next one will have Wayne Brady for some reason. That's good, right?

No comments: