Monday, July 03, 2006

iTunes vs. musikCube.

The Battle of Unconventional Capitalization.
by AC - permalink


Bad news for musikCube. I found iTunes's "browser," which duplicates musikCube's killer user interface function of giving you subwindows listing artists and albums above the master track list. This was the big UI feature that immediately showed me how much better musikCube was over older media players like Winamp and CoolPlayer.

The good news for musikCube is that it's still better at highlighting the currently playing track when switching playlists. But iTunes has an answer for that: the "now playing" window at the top of the app has a little button that will highlight the current track. It's an extra click, but that's not a dealbreaker or anything. And if desktop space is at a premium, you'll find musikCube much easier to work with, although iTunes has a mini-mode, and musikCube has a popular plugin called miniPlayer that equals it.

See my last post for more on iTunes vs. musikCube, but I have one more thing to add. musikCube eats up a little less RAM. iTunes pays for its slick interface and instant iTMS connectivity by using more memory. Both players average around 10MB, though I've seen iTunes spike at nearly 30MB. It's rare, but I've seen it happen.

But I have tons of RAM, and you probably do, too. It's hard for me to write off musikCube, because it's so small and simple and, above all, open-source and extensible. But iTunes is a very competent music player. Again, I'm not taking into account iTunes's interface with iTMS here, but even from a purely offline standpoint, it's hard to find a reason not to ditch musikCube unless there are plugins for it you just can't live without.

So there, I've said it. I'm endorsing Goliath over the David I've enjoyed for years. And I hate myself for it. I hope you're happy.

No comments: