Friday, July 14, 2006

New desk. And so on.

I'm too tall.
by AC - permalink


So I bought a new computer desk today. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while. A couple of years maybe, if that qualifies as "a while." Anyway, it's smallish and stylish, and clearly designed for someone shorter than 6' 2". There's nowhere for my legs to go other than out the back, so I've had to pull it out from the wall farther than I'd like to. It has a slide-out keyboard tray, and I gave it a shot even though I hate them, and I was right, I hate it. I've put my keyboard on the desk in front of my monitor, where it belongs, and I feel much better now, thanks. Now it's a slide-out tray full of all the games that force you to put in a CD to play them. That is, everything but the Half-Life series, Quake III, and UT 2004. That's all. And I have a lot of games. Pain in the ass...

Anyhow, it came in a very long, very thin, and very heavy box, which should probably have told me that "some assembly is required" meant "all assembly is required." It was basically plywood, dowels, and screws, and now it's a nice little desk with a shelf and a drawer and I'm all proud of myself for actually building something.

I decided to break in the new ergonomics by playing a bunch of Half-Life 2, starting at Route Canal. I didn't break my new "play-til-it's-over" mantra because I've already finished Quake IV. I didn't realize it before, but that's a short goddamned game. I blasted through it in two days. It isn't even half as long as Doom 3. Score another point for id Software. Raven gets a point or two for "Best use of Peter Stormare," though.

I started a new Club Pogo account last week, and it's been eating up a ton of time. I'm starting from scratch in all the games I'd mastered and there are suddenly tons of badges to go after. If you've been a Pogo member long enough to rack up seven or eight million tokens, I highly recommend getting a new account and starting over again. Everyone in the heads-up games thinks you're a newbie, and you can slap 'em down nice and hard.

No comments: