Saturday, January 29, 2005

Updates

Asa has posted a new Gecko roadmap that shows a February 9 completion date for Gecko 1.8b, with Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1 released shortly thereafter. So that's cool.

I'm still fiddling with this Blogger theme. Added a tag or two to get rid of link underlines and updated my list of external links. I'm still not entirely happy with it, but it's just a damn blog, after all...

A new version of Winamp was released yesterday. Does anyone care?

I'm fighting very hard against my brain's preinstalled WinInstinct package, which is telling me I need to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows now, before things get any worse. It's been less than six months, but odd things are starting to happen with this computer that I can't fix. I think it really comes down to the fact that this is a pretty old box, with no major hardware changes, and it's only a matter of time before components start arbitrarily failing.

I rented The Forgotten and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow this week. The Forgotten was about what I expected. A little too fast-paced for the kind of atmosphere it was going for, but not bad overall. The theatrical version makes no sense at all compared to the extended edition included on the DVD. Sky Captain, on the other hand, was much better than I'd hoped. I wanted to see it because I dig movies that try new stuff visually, but this really is a modern, consciously over-the-top version of the old sci-fi serial shorts from the thirties and forties, which I'm a huge fan of. At first, you're acutely aware that the entire movie is blue-screened in behind the actors, but once you get used to this, you can kind of lose yourself in it. In fact, I'm going to go watch it again right now, and tomorrow I'll consider adding it to my favorite films list in my profile.

No comments: