Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Microsoft Almost Gets It Right

Because Windows XP's auto-update downloader is a pain in the ass if you use a dial-up ISP, and because I don't even want to think about how long it would take me to download Service Pack 2, I ordered a free SP2 CD from Microsoft. I was told to wait the standard 6 to 8 weeks for arrival, but it got here in four days. So far, this has all been very nice and easy.

So I installed SP2 in about an hour, spent a little longer configuring the firewall and running a scan/defrag of my primary drive. But there's a problem. I can't stay online for more than five minutes without arbitrarily losing all downstream data. No error, no disconnect. Just no data. And the dialer stops responding and I have to reboot to get back online for five more minutes of quality internet time. Oh boy, this is fun.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled my ISP's autodialer software, started using a different (significantly slower) local access number, and disabled the fucking firewall entirely, and it seems to be working again. I'm hoping it was the firewall and not the number.

Oh, and after installing SP2, my computer abruptly reset itself in the middle of a game of Half-Life. First time I've had a sudden crash since switching to WinXP Pro. Interesting timing...

No comments: