Friday, February 18, 2005

Pimped

Is PimpZilla the best Firefox theme ever? Yes. Yes it is. Go download it right now.

Took a look at both the Opera 8 beta and that Netscape Browser prerelease that came out a while back. To be honest I can't tell much difference between the Opera beta and Opera 7.54u2, the most recent full release. It's nice and fast and all, but without adblocking I just have no use for it. When I want to fire up a browser for a minute without loading all my Firefox LiveBookmarks, I use K-Meleon 0.9.

The Netscape prerelease is clearly an alpha, whatever they may have called it. I ran into two bugs almost immediately: it stopped responding to keyboard input entirely, and if you close the browser window while a download is in progress, you have to create a new profile (or stop the download) to get it to open up again. Early bugs aside, the interface is just odd looking. It's very green and very busy. By default, there are two scrolling news tickers and a stock ticker on the "personal toolbar." It also opens two huge, obnoxious Netscape-hosted home pages. But that can be changed. It's based on Firefox 1.0, so the rendering engine is literally as good as it gets, but really, what's the point of Netscape Browser? If I'm not mistaken, Firefox 1.0 is also based on Firefox 1.0.

No comments: