Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Where am I?

Oh, right, I still have stuff to do.
by AC - permalink

Sometimes it's nice to just sleep all damn day. I topped several consecutive late, late nights working on stuff for finals week and getting almost no sleep with a badly-timed late night out. Sort of sleepwalking right now, but I'm wrapping up my XHTML final project; after tomorrow I'll be done for the semester. Anyway, I went out to see Annie in the karaoke finals at what I'll politely not call a redneck bar. It was worth it though, both for her "giant parrot singing Tracy Chapman" act and for some girl named Michelle's bluesy take on Purple Rain.

Afterwards I headed home because I was exhausted, but then I caught myself copping out on some potential fun, said "Fuck it" out loud in the general direction of my windshield, and headed to Newby's for open-mic night, where my friends in Falling for Grey were playing. They were fantastic, btw. By 2am it had started to rain and I was nearly unconscious after basically not sleeping for 48 hours, so I decided to book and came on home, and promptly passed out for too many hours to count.

Just before heading out though, I watched the Griz get their brains beat out by Detroit. It was relatively close at the end, but it just felt like the Pistons were toying with them. I don't know what's going on with this team's defense. I mean how can it be getting worse? This is one of the most nauseating box scores I've ever seen. Two steals? Fourteen fewer assists on just four fewer made baskets? And why did Mike Miller take four shots in 39 minutes? I watched the game, and I still have no idea.

At one point Warrick was isolated and actually passed the ball to Lowry, who gave it right back! No! Okay, it was the right play, as Hak's man shifted to help on Kyle. The problem is, Hak made the shot. Positive reinforcement of bad habits is not good. But whatever. I'm still finding it worth the pain to watch Rudy Gay. I love the fact that you can see him flip a switch in his head every night when he decides to just take over, and then he actually does it. Jacob Riis agrees with me:
The rap on Gay coming out of college and on into his rookie season was that he wasn’t assertive. Well, that’s not the player we’re seeing on the floor right now. We’re seeing someone who really wants to try to take over games and take the big shots and someone who’s ability to create good shots all over the floor continues to develop and impress.
I'm not so crazy about the fact that Rudy has to keep flipping that switch back on again during a game. Why is it going off in the first place? But overall the signs are all positive with this kid.

No comments: