Sunday, April 17, 2005

Firefox 1.0.3, OSS, and Me

Final builds of Firefox 1.0.3 and Mozilla Suite 1.7.7 were released late last week. These are literally the state-of-the-art browsers now, incorporating fixes for recently discovered JavaScript security holes and a new class of pop-ups, as well as the stability upgrades you get with every MoFo software update. And speaking of, the new Mozilla Update site has gone live. No major UI changes; it just works now.

I've managed to get around most of my modem crash issues by browsing the problem sites with K-Meleon, my second-favorite browser, with images turned off. One of K-Meleon's default toolbars is something called a "Privacy Bar" (disabled by default) that allows you to disable or enable cookies, images, Java, Javascript, Pop-ups, or Flash with one click. Between Firefox, K-Meleon, Thunderbird, Avant Browser (for sites that render best in IE), and musikCube (for its flawless freedb integration), I probably have the most complete internet suite I've ever used. Every one of those apps is freeware, and all but Avant are open-source. OSS is the cutting edge now, there's just no questioning it anymore. If you don't believe me, just take a look at TheOpenCD.org.

And that reminds me, I need to download a new GTK environment.

Update: While I'm watching this GTK update slowly heave itself onto my backup hard drive, I thought I'd mention that I've finally gotten some speakers for my PC. I was at Walmart the other day and I dropped a fat 25 bucks for an Altec Lansing 2.1 set. The satellites have virtually no high-end, but musikCube's 18-band EQ compensates for that. The little subwoofer, though, is surprisingly powerful. The whole setup carries very well throughout the house, but only when I'm using Cube or PowerDVD, which also has excellent inherent audio. I don't think I'll ever switch from a good set of headphones for gaming, though. I also bought my mom a mid-grade Logitech optical mouse. All she does is email and Pogo, but she needed it.

No comments: