Friday, April 08, 2005

Opera is Confusing

Last time I used the Opera 8 beta I set the home page to a blank page. But that was stupid because when I opened it the other day I didn't know what the hell was going on. It turns out that Opera ties the navigation controls, address bar, tab bar, search bar, and just about everything else into the currently selected tab, so if you have no open tabs, it's literally impossible to do anything or go anywhere without selecting a link from the bookmarks context menu (or, I suppose, using that "Panels" toolbar thing).

The same day, I downloaded the browser/composer-only version of Mozilla Application Suite 1.8 beta. I don't really have a reason for that. Version 1.7.6 (and the forthcoming 1.7.7) are much more stable, and 1.8 is never going final, as it's just a Gecko test bed for future Firefox and Thunderbird releases.

My new favorite application is a WinXP/2000 mp3/ogg player called musikCube. I used this app for five minutes and swore off Winamp forever. If you take the time to maintain the id3 tags in your mp3's (specifically artist and album info), Cube is just brilliant. A totally bare-bones, elegant player with awesome playback quality and, if you want it, an 18-band equalizer. I would pay good money for this player, but, incredibly, it's open-source. Here's a screenshot.

Oh, and I finally broke down and ordered Quake III Arena from id Software. I'm expecting it tomorrow or Monday.

No comments: