Friday, July 22, 2005

Mo(dem)zilla

Finally got myself a nice shiny new name-brand modem to replace that old USRobotics POS I've been dealing with since I got this PC. Took three minutes to install and a couple more to update the default Windows drivers. Little things make me happy. Unlike the christening I have to go to tomorrow for my cousin's baby. The way I see it, if you didn't actually witness the birth, you shouldn't have to drive to another state to watch the kid get named and dropped into a dunk tank or whatever the hell Catholics do to their babies.

I'm writing this update in Mozilla 1.7.10, which was released yesterday. It's a security update to keep the suite in line with the 1.0.6 releases of Firefox and Thunderbird. Like last time, I only downloaded the browser component of the Mozilla Suite. It may be my imagination, but it seems faster and somehow more solid than the last few releases I tried. I'll replace it once the first relatively stable SeaMonkey it out. I like having as many browsers as possible, because there's always something I find works best in one browser or another (except for Opera, which I've sworn off forever because it's so bad at absolutely everything).

There's been a realignment of the Firefox official release numbering scheme. Firefox 1.1 has been pushed back a bit and renamed Firefox 1.5 to better reflect the magnitude of the update. The next major milestone after than will still be Fx 2.0.

No comments: