Wednesday, July 20, 2005

More Mozilla Stuff and Potter 6

Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0.6 are out. These are quick-fix releases that correct some API changes in the 1.0.5 code that ended up breaking some extensions.

For the Mac people, Camino Browser 0.9 alpha 2 has been released. I've thought about buying a new Mac, maybe a Mini or iMac, just to be able to use Camino, but then I remember: I don't have a thousand dollars to blow. Oh well.

Asa pointed out a project at mozdev called Searchsidebar. It's a Firefox extension that creates a more advanced Mozilla Suite-style search in, obviously, the sidebar. I haven't tried it yet myself. Probably should have before writing about it. What if it's totally useless and breaks Firefox? Too late now.

Somebody at ZDNet UK really, really likes Firefox. Go read some Mozilla-flavored feature articles: Firefox: The alternative history, Mozilla: From obscurity to opportunity, Firefox: Doing it for love, and Behind the scenes at Mozilla HQ. Oh, and make sure Adblock is active. The whole site is just crawling with banners and flash ads.

I got hold of the new Harry Potter book just after it was released, and finished it within a day and a half (some minor spoilers are coming up here). I have to say that it depressed the hell out of me. The first third of the book is much funnier and lighter than book 5, Order of the Phoenix, but the plot is much less complex than any of the previous books, including the first one. We all knew someone was going to die in this one, and we already lost a major character in Phoenix, but this time it was just much more brutal. I can't imagine how little kids are going to deal with this. The last chapter in particular is one of the most beautiful pieces of fiction I've ever read, period. But, like I said, it's really rough on the long-time Potter fans, particularly the last few paragraphs. It almost makes me dread the next (and presumably last) book, but of course I'll have to read it.

No comments: