Thursday, July 14, 2005

MozMania

Lots to cover tonight. I'll start with the release of Firefox 1.0.5. Here are the release notes and the updated MoFo security advisories page. Fx 1.0.5 fixes fully a dozen vulnerabilities and improves stability. Once again, if you don't want to fuck up your extensions, you should uninstall Fx 1.0.4 via Add/Remove Programs, then run the installer immediately (Windows XP/98). Always works for me.

Less important, but still noteworthy, is the release of the second Deer Park Alpha. The official release notes show some interesting GUI changes over Firefox 1.0+, like dragable tabs and much faster cached Back/Forward functionality (both Opera features from a while back). Popup blocking is better now, as well. And of course Deer Park sports that much improved prefwindow. If you want to test it, take a long look at the known issues first, because this is pre-beta, after all, and it still isn't very stable. I managed to create some impressive crashes in no time at all.

One last bit of Mozilla news: Yahoo has added Thunderbird support to its Desktop Search beta (via mozillaZine). Does anyone out there use this? Or Google Desktop Search? I'm wondering if I'd have any use for an indexed search client. WinXP's native indexing service (disabled by default, naturally), is pretty awful, at least in terms of the UI. It doesn't seem to work particularly well, either.

Anyway. I replaced all my desktop icons with ObjectDock the other day. Not for any particular reason, I just think it looks nice. I don't have a ton of 2D memory, though, so windows get draggy when moved over the dock's operational area. But whatever. I haven't looked into any spiffy custom docklets or icons yet, other than a nifty gamepad icon I'm using as a shortcut to Dega, a Master System emulator I'm currently enamoured with. I'm finally getting to try all the crappy games I really wanted when I was eleven years old. Rastan and Psycho Fox and Zillion! Hooray!

No comments: