Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Firefox security tightened down.

Fx 1.0.7 released, and Opera begins to get on my nerves.
by AC - permalink


Firefox 1.0.7 was posted yesterday. This is another security update, really just a patch for a couple of newly uncovered vulnerbilities. It also provides a couple of stability fixes. I imagine this will be the last update for this branch of Firefox before 1.5 goes final.

I've been having a couple of issues with Opera since I started using it regularly a few weeks ago. First, there's the continual pain of manually deleting tracking cookies. Opera has a cookie manager, but all it really does is list your cookies and allow you to delete them individually. Why is it not possible to create a blacklist, as in Firefox? Incredibly, Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3 has the same issue. For god's sake, it's based on Firefox 1.x, so someone actually went to the trouble of removing this feature. What the hell?

The other problem I'm having with Opera involves my feeds list. After adding an eleventh RSS feed (and then another), messages started showing up under the wrong feed. So, for example, new messages from the Google Sci/Tech feed will also be displayed as new messages from Ars Technica and even this blog. New Slashdot messages also tend to show up under the wrong feed. I have no idea what's causing this, but it wasn't fixed from 8.02 to 8.5.

Still have not had any problems with Firefox 1.5 beta 1, but I haven't really been using it much. About half of my extensions have not been updated yet, including AdBlock, Show Image, and Wizz RSS Reader. I imagine that a lot of extension authors are just waiting for 1.5 final. Lame.

No comments: