Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Revenge is Imminent

Tommorrow will hopefully be the day I'm able to pick up Burnout: Revenge for the Xbox. I've been waiting for this game, as I'm a huge fan of the Burnout series. I've been playing the games since Burnout 1 on the Gamecube, and I was glad to see the series finally come into popularity and acclaim with last year's Burnout 3: Takedown. B3 was my second favorite game of last year (behind Halo 2) and reviews like this one from Gamespot have me looking forward to a crashing good time.

I did make one good pickup earlier in the week. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (which I scored for just $10) is a criminally underrated game. It's a FPS, sort of-- you've never seen enemies, characters, and weapons this creative-- well, not since the last Oddworld game. I wasn't too big on Munch's Odyssey, but I'm really enjoying this one.

I also picked up the newly-released DVD of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I know a lot of die-hard Douglas Adams fans are split over the film, but I really dig it. Now that I've seen it three times (twice in theaters, once so far on DVD), the "missing" parts that so many people harp about don't really bother me. Repeated viewings of the film has allowed me to catch a lot of the little touches thrown in that you'd never get without being a fan. Overall, I think this film, more than anything else, does a great job in capturing the spirit of Douglas Adams' work. Hopefully, Disney/Touchstone will consider greenlighting a film version of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, despite mediocre U.S. box office.

And if you're a die-hard Pixar fan like myself, you probably already picked up the new 10th Anniversary Edition of Toy Story. I have the single-disc version already, but I couldn't resist the new 2-disc version, which has an absolutely stunning transfer, much like the last couple of Pixar DVDs. It was nice to be able to go back and revisit the movie that started Pixar's rise to computer-animation dominance (I'll refrain from any more gushing about The Incredibles, my favorite film of 2004.) However, I'm really looking forward to December 26, when the new edition of Toy Story 2 goes on sale-- I consider it superior to the original, and it was my favorite Pixar film before The Incredibles.

No comments: