Thursday, September 08, 2005

Microsoft doesn't like you.

But Blake does. And so does The Onion.
by AC - permalink


In an interview with Tom's Hardware posted yesterday, Firefox co-creator Blake Ross was asked what he thinks is the biggest difference between Firefox and Internet Explorer:

Microsoft is here to win. That's great if you're a shareholder, but how many users appreciated that attitude when spyware and pop-ups filled their screens four years ago, and Microsoft, having crushed Netscape, abandoned the market? The company is back now that competition has arisen, but where will it be in four more years?

The Mozilla Foundation isn't fighting a war on competition; it's fighting a war on complexity. Our users are our shareholders, and as long as the Internet is frustrating, we'll be here.

Ross also mentioned something interesting that I hadn't heard before. Seems the growing market share of all the standards-compliant web browsers (i.e. everything but IE) is starting to put a dent in the Explorer-only internet and intranet applications market:

We used to have a full evangelism team that worked with IE-only companies to support Web standards. Fortunately, we've reached the tipping point in terms of market share where companies are now forced to open up or risk losing 10% of their clientele. So while we still make evangelism efforts, these kinds of problems are beginning to disappear naturally.

The rest of the short interview isn't all that interesting, but may be worth a look.

Turning from Tom's Hardware to My Hardware, I installed a new hard drive in my PC this weekend. (Do not question my segueing abilities!) The 10GB Quantum HD in my mom's old Compaq started making nasty clicking noises, which pretty much means it's dead and gone forever. So I formatted the 30GB Western Digital I use as a backup from NTFS to FAT32 and stuck it in her PC, and installed Win98 SE on it. Then I replaced it in my box with a shiny, new (but cheap) Maxtor 100GB, 7800 RPM drive. I still only have a total of 140GB of storage here, but it's still more than I need. I don't even have a DVD burner or broadband, and it took me six months to effectively fill up the 70GB I had before.

Something else I've been meaning to post for a while now: The Onion has completely opened up its news archives. This is probably the biggest source of comedy on the damned web now, and I've been trolling through it for a few days. This goes along with a redesign of the front page and a total overhaul of The A.V. Club. Good times.

Oh, and I added Blogger's image/word verification feature to the comments. Hopefully this will stop the comment spambots that started to pop up here this week.

No comments: