Saturday, September 17, 2005

SeaMonkey has landed (sort of).

Not the best browser, but clearly it has the best name.
by AC - permalink

The first ever SeaMonkey alpha was released, um, two days ago. Guess I missed it. The changelog shows some nice feature additions and a ton of bug fixes over the Mozilla Suite it's based on. Once a beta is released, I'll have to give it a try. I'm using MozSuite less and less, so I might as well replace it with SeaMonkey (I think SM overwrites an existing Suite installation in the same way Firefox 1.5 beta replaces Fx 1.0.x).

And speaking of Firefox, a guy named Scott Berkun has posted his reasons for switching from IE to Firefox. This is notable because he was one of the head UI guys for IE1 through IE5. His reasons range from Fx's smooth and unobtrusive handling of security to "IE is a ghetto." He also does a little nitpicking of the Fx UI: I agree that the "Go" menu should either be nested or done away with entirely, but I don't know what he's talking about here:

With multiple tabs (I find) the back/forward behavior becomes complex and hard to predict. Strict UI logic would put the tab UI above the toolbars, not below, but that creates other problems.

Yes, like confusing the hell out of the average user. Opera does just what he's describing in his post, and it's my least favorite aspect of the browser. That, and the way it mysteriously axes nearly all of Blogger's Create Post features. I don't know what the hell that's about.

Anyway, I'm reading Berkun's post, and see that he was still working on IE through the release of IE5, and I'm thinking, "Well, he must have left pretty recently, right? I mean, IE is only on ver. 6 now." Wrong. He left Microsoft in 1999. I just love the numbers here. Internet Explorer, likely the most widely-used internet app on planet Earth, has seen only one major update in six years (no, I'm not counting IE5.5; it was a patch, at best). Wow.

No comments: