Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Mississippi is Boring

Back from Greenville. There can't possibly be a more uninteresting drive in the US than the one down hwy 61 through the Mississippi River floodplain. "Oh look, its another cotton field. Where's the camera?" At least I got away from the 96 degree Memphis heat for a few days; in Greenville it was 99, and more humid.

Anyway, the Firemonger Project has been updated to CD version 1.04c. This updates to Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0.6. Apparently the next version of the Firemonger CD will be 2.0, with a completely revamped interface and bug fixes, as well as new extensions.

And speaking of, a one-off version of Tab Mix called Tab Mix Plus showed up at Mozilla Update this week. I had no problems installing it on the bare-bones Fx 1.0.6 under my WinXP guest account (the only other extension installed there is AdBlock). But after uninstalling Tab Mix and installing Plus, then restarting Fx, the extensions window continually hung and crashed the browser. Same result with older versions of Tab Mix. I finally intalled Tabbrowser Preferences, which is nowhere near as good as Tab Mix, then disabled it (without uninstalling) and installed Tab Mix Plus. Now it works.

I'm not sure, but I think the problem might have been caused by the install method I was using: I downloaded the .jar file and dragged it onto the extensions window the first few tries. The last time, I just installed it directly from the web site. I don't know why this would be an issue, but there you are.

I think it's time to post a new list of the Firefox and Thunderbird extensions I'm using now, along with brief descriptions as well as links. I'm using over a dozen in Fx now and four or five in Tbird. Look for it in the next day or three.

No comments: