Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Tragedy in the Big Easy

I'm sitting here watching the video and images from Hurricane Katrina on the Weather Channel, and I just can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing. The cities of New Orleans and Gulfport are basically gone. I've been to both cities, and I just can't believe the magnitude and power of this storm. I feel for everyone affected by this, and hope everyone will be able to bounce back. I mean, 80% of New Orleans is underwater-- I just don't see how they will be able to come back from this.

Katrina was one powerful storm-- powerful enough to affect us here in Memphis. It was still a tropical storm when it passed through here knocking out power to 74,000 customers, including me. Thankfully, the utility company seemed to be prepared, as we got back power yesterday evening, about 18 hours after we lost it.

I'm on vacation this week, and I've spent most of my time on the internet and working on editing my video from my Disney vacation. I was inspired into video editing by Robb and Elissa Alvey over at Theme Park Review, who turn out some great theme park videos, many of which you can download from their website or buy on DVD. If you're a theme park junkie like me, their DVDs are well worth the money.

I'm going out grocery shopping tomorrow, so I will probably hit up a couple of Targets and whatnot on a lookout for bargain games. I'll report back here if I find anything good.

1 comment:

AC said...

We only lost power up here in Frayser for about 90 minutes, but I spent a good couple hours this afternoon cutting up and removing a huge limb that fell from one of our trees onto a neighbor's fence.

I read tonight in my RSS feeds that New Orleans residents that had been in the emergency shelter at the Superdome were taken by bus all the way to Houston. A lot more of them are here in Memphis now. I guess you can only live below sea level right on the coast for so long before it catches up with you.