Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Death of Seamonkey

As I posted on my Memphis Grizzlies fanblog, I've started posting Griz wallpapers at deviantART. What I'm going for in these wallpapers is simplicity and usability, and I've ended up with some .xcf templates that I can easily adapt for Mozilla wallpapers, so look for those soon. Everything I've posted can be found at shiftedblue.deviantart.com.

The Mozilla Foundation has finally made it official: Seamonkey, the codebase for the Mozilla Application Suite, will no longer be developed. As it turns out, the 1.8 alpha and beta releases of Mozilla Suite were essentially testbeds for the Gecko branch underlying Firefox 1.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.0.1.

There's already a movement to keep Seamonkey alive, as I predicted in a previous post. I think this is good for Mozilla in the end, and is certainly the whole point of open-source software. But really, focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird is the right thing to do. As a combo, they just out-class the Mozilla Suite in every category.

No comments: