Friday, March 04, 2005

Firefox for Dummies

How Stuff Works has posted a sort of beginners' introduction to Firefox and browsers in general, called, aptly, How Firefox Works. Definitely a recommended link for anyone you may be attempting to convince to switch to Firefox (or any other Gecko-based browser) full-time.

Firefox co-creator Blake Ross is -- let's just say "irritated" -- by the latest Netscape Browser release. He has some very pointed and fair criticisms directed primarily towards whoever AOL has contracted to do their software development for them and for the marketing boardroom-types who seem to have been major influences in how the 8.0 beta turned out.

I'm trying to get this post typed out as quickly as possible, before my internet connection suddenly craps out and I have to reboot to get back online. I've narrowed it down to either my modem itself (and old USR pre-v2-standards 56K), or the Win2K/XP drivers for it. It's most likely the drivers, as I seem to lose connectivity when loading a page that pulls from multiple servers simultanously, like a Google image search or an RSS aggregation source. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find XP-specific drivers for this modem, and I'm hesitant to start arbitrarily installing alternative "maybe it'll work, but probably not" candidates. Oh well. Who needs to search the web anyway?

No comments: